Tuesday, June 03, 2008

PRAIRIE VIEW IN REVIEW

PRAIRIE VIEW IN REVIEW

Roger A. Davis

I got a questionnaire the other day
Didn’t fill it out; not my way
In 2001, I had a 15-day stay
Bipolarism, they did say

I was very rowdy in that mental ward
Escaped; home I was headed toward
Police caught me and back I went
In a padded room, that night I spent

After that, an ideal patient I became
Wanted to be out, so I played the game
Took the meds to calm the manic mood
I’ll say one thing, they had great food

I had caused a lot of strife
Especially for my son and wife
Got to leave and go to work
Shortly quit the meds; once again, became a jerk

Another two weeks stay in a different place
I made a bona fide effort to join the human race
They stopped giving Lithium and put me on Depakote
Eight years now, it has righted my boat

Mental illness causes emotional scars
It’s only by the Grace of God, I’m not behind bars
Wish I could dissolve all that emitted pain
Yet, I found out my true friends; they remain

Mark W., my therapist, I see every month or so
A Christian counselor, this I know
Sharing everything, the good and bad
It’s very healing; I never leave sad

This poem was difficult to write as a review
To open my soul to give others a bird’s eye view
If you’re struggling with depression or whatever
Please seek help. It’s not hopeless!! Never!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home