Tuesday, June 03, 2008

CONVENIENCE STORES

CONVENIENCE STORES

Roger A. Davis

In Kansas, lottery tickets they sell
Scratching at the counter; doesn’t sit with me well
Take them to the car and do your thing
So the clerk our items can ring

Now I know there is a bigger market up there
But almost double the price; is that fair?
To have to not go to the big store
Is it worth it to pay so much more?

Most have a gas pump, too
I long for those days when they helped you
Choices: Pay before you fill
Or put it on your credit card bill

These stores are most 24/7
Not sure about the chain called 7-11
They have a variety of names, like Fast-N-Go
Kwik Trip, Casey’s and Petro Pro

At night, if you have a craving like a pregnant wife
They’re to save your appetite life
Mostly, I use them for their restrooms
Wish they were more attentive with mops and brooms

Going to work and getting off times, it can be a zoo
I avoid them because standing in line makes me stew
Yet, when I only need an item or two, it’s quite handy
Especially when I need a bag of Jolly Rancher’s candy

Mom and pop stores used to suffice
You were known and always treated nice
But with the volume of traffic through a convenience store
It’s hard for clerks to gain a relationship anymore

This poem has somewhat of a negative slant
Would want to do away with them if I could, but I can’t
Here’s an idea: have a drive-up window there to buy
I’d be their best customer, this handicapped guy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home