Saturday, September 01, 2007

GOLDEN EAGLE OMAHA HI-LO GAME

GOLDEN EAGLE OMAHA HI-LO GAME

Roger A. Davis

Sign-up on Thursdays, 12:00 AM until we start
Joe is usually the first old fart on the chart
Breakfast at seven before we begin
Then it’s off to the poker table that seats ten

Gruff, thick-skinned Clay, first dealer of the day
Don’t tell him, he’s the best I’ve ever seen at pay and directing play
Yet, Terry and Larry are more merry
4, 8, half kill with capping, it can get scary

Players vary like a dirty dozen
Then there’s me, like a distant occasional cousin
Sprinkle Bet Soybean Bob
Some say he has a secret stash for a corncob

Terry and Joe, our resident dirty old men
But both bend over backwards to be your friend
Larry, full of facts and a dry sense of humor
Dressed in baggy black since sloughing off an 80 lb. fat tumor

Wheelchair Bill and Warren, who like to raise
And Larry O hems and haws but usually stays
Jim, Jack and I are usually nursing our cig packs
As Pit Boss Mike hands out 100 white racks

I’m there because meals are free
Plus, my four cards – flop, turn and river - to see
Seriously, it’s the fellowship and jokes
And, at the Golden Eagle, they allow smokes

This poem is written for my poker pals
Thank God, there are no regular playing gals
Thank you for making me feel like one of the bunch
But, I think maybe you just want my money
That’s my hunch

My website for more prose
edenprairieprose.blogspot.com
Click on monthly archives to read more

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home