Monday, January 01, 2007

WINTER OF OUR CONTENT

WINTER OF OUR CONTENT

Roger A. Davis

This year for me, no cabin fever
I've a made an outdoor lodge, like a beaver
If that doesn't work out, too cold for my desire
I'll use the material for a roaring bonfire

This poetic preamble is written in jest
Now, I like Spring and Fall the best
But when younger, Winter was my bag
Sold Christmas trees, price marked with red tag

Loved the icy sleet that transformed trees
To crystal landscapes, and geese in flying vees
Drifting snow keeping us from school
Building forts and snowball fights was the rule

In flat Kansas, sledding was tricky
About any incline was used, you couldn't be picky
Also employed a three wheeler to pull a plywood sled
Snow frozen wheat field, our mountain slope, instead

My son, at 8 or 9, pulled me behind the Yamaha
I fell back on my head, bellowing to stop
Not hearing, Josh dragged me to the end, his frozen pop
To everyone watching, it was a big ha, ha, ha

In my family, I'm known as "Best Ice and Snow Driver"
But in their minds, they think, "He's still a survivor?"
You see I have had a number of winter accidents
I seemed to ignore Mother Nature's icy road hints

Blizzard drifts were a magnet to me
Thinking, go fast enough, it will set you free
Once it took two space heaters in father-in-law's garage
For my Chevy's front-end to thaw and dislodge

Now, when a winter storm strikes
No more sleds and motorized trikes
Now it's my GMC 4X4 to breach the Arctic blast
And here's hoping, I don't repeat the frosty past

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home