Monday, January 01, 2007

ODE TO FLASHLIGHT

ODE TO FLASHLIGHT

Roger A. Davis

First light I see tonight
It is my trusty flashlight
Employed for my journey to the bathroom
Enables me to avoid articles of doom

Joshua Lionel Cowen invented it in 1898
Joshua was to have another fate
The toy train manufacturer, elite
Lionel Corporation was no small feat

Conrad Hubert was given the invention
Eveready Flashlight, his multimillionaire connection
Batteries in a tube with a bulb that glows
I so enjoy the light it throws

There are many variations, my friends
Using D, C, AA, AAA, it just depends
Had one pair you wore like glasses on the head
Freeing hands for night work instead

Have an antique flashlight cane
Handed down from Great-grandmother Mayme
Torch is the Commonwealth name of fame
But it is the same in the main

I could go on and on with this tribute ode
Like how they can be used for Morse Code
Yet I believe there is a universal appreciation
This, my flashlight infatuation

So enjoy you Energizer Buddy today
And don't forget a shadow show to play
Or a ghost story for added fright reflection
Yes, especially for any nighttime inspection

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home