Friday, December 01, 2006

SENSE OF HUMOR

SENSE OF HUMOR

Roger A. Davis

Is it in our genes or environmental?
Maybe there is a joke chromosome
My guess, hereditary plus humor at home

Papa Grace, at Sunday noon, tossed rolls
And when passing the butter
Twisted the dish trying to stick the unsuspecting other

Mama Grace always sat on Pop's left side
When an inappropriate story or act was broached
She kicked his shin, because the tablecloth, did hide

My thought is Papa Grace had a permanent bruise
Yet, he almost always had a mischievous grin
Much to my grandmother's chagrin

Don't take me wrong, in my youth I never heard him cuss
And on the farm, if you made a mistake, he didn't fuss
Once I ran into the combine reel, he only said, "Shawl"

Dad also enjoys hearing and telling humorous stories
Even does a practical joke that might be a little crude
Here is one episode that will lighten your mood

Mom and Dad went to grain industry conventions
On one trip, they bought rubber vomit, with these intentions
Individually bringing us from the basement to clean the mess

As my siblings fret and bent over, towel to press
Dad lifted it and tossed the vomit as a comet
Him and Mom laughing in jest

Then I was called last to the test
Claimed my dog, Judo, had done this gastric runny
I guess they forgot about my queasy tummy

When I was made to stoop and clean
The living room carpet had two puke puddles
One fake, one real; you’ve got to admit, that was a little mean

When we were young, Dad would lay on his back
And would give us rides using his hands and feet
Laughing memories of this are very sweet

But most all, he had this neat phrase he would say
Sometimes after he was too tired to continue to play
"Let me tell you about when I was a little girl"

This was followed by a humorous pearl
But just him speaking this line
Made everything seem just fine

I got my sense of humor from our family trees
My Mom laughs at her own jokes
And when I write, I get the Hee Hee Hee's

My greatest earthly treasure is truly this
Hearing Peggy laugh, it is pure bliss
When we're depressed, her chuckling removes what's amiss

Most of all, I give credit to Our Heavenly Father
For our ability to laugh and express glee
Because faith is needed to see this world as fun and Holy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home