Friday, December 01, 2006

CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS

CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS

Roger A. Davis

Honey, whose family will we be with this year?
And what delicious dishes will you bring?
I know wherever we go, we will sing
Rudolph, The Red-Nose Reindeer

After we grew up and had families of our own
We siblings and in-laws quit exchanging gifts
Instead, Crazy Santa is played; oh my, what rifts
What would Christmas be without some family tiffs

Rules: each brings a wrapped present, nothing sick
Numbers drawn to see who gets the first pick
The next can take someone's or choose another
Friction can start here between sister and brother

When the last has taken their turn
Numero Uno gets the final choice of all
Choosing the best gift while another gets burned
And feeling the rest of the day of being blackballed

We have this tradition on Christmas Day
"Christmas Gift", being the first to say
One year I hid in a ditch
Made a sign to give the pitch

When my sister and her family car approached
I sprang up and yelled, "Christmas Tree"
This brought about much holiday glee
Wrong words, bummer being self-coached

Mama Grace made our first hearth socks
My Mom has added new family members, that rocks
My wife's Mom does the stocking thing, too
This is a lot of work being we are no longer just a few

I have special memories of received surprises
Like a new bicycle and double holstered cap guns
Last year, the velour jogging suit from my son
Yet most of all Jesus, God's Son, The Holy One

After the Christmas meal is done
The giving and receiving of gifts is much fun
Seeing the little ones with glowing eyes so bright
Please God, this Christmas, may we reflect Your Light

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home