Monday, December 01, 2008

UFC: AFICIONADO? YOU TELL ME

UFC: AFICIONADO? YOU TELL ME

Roger A. Davis

I grew up watching boxing on Friday nights
Schlitz Beer commercials, the bear and the fights
Boxers, like heavyweight Floyd Patterson
Becoming the Champ, beating Ingemar Johansson

Even for the early Cassius Clay, I was very keen
Went to Wichita to see him on the big screen
These bouts were shown in Century II
Sadly, Muhammad Ali got many a boo

Though I have followed boxing to this day
I’ve changed my allegiance to a new way
Ultimate Fighting Championship, it’s here to stay
Mixed martial arts are used in the fray

Submissions, decisions and knockouts
The latter is my favorite to win bouts
The Octagon Cage is the arena setting
And sometimes there is blood letting

It has progressed with safer rules
And Spike TV shows taped duels
UFC also has reality shows
Up and coming stars square off as foes

I’ve liked stars, such as Randy Couture and Ken Shamrock
On Nov. 15, a new Heavyweight Champ: Lesnar, Brock
This bout and others, I watched on Pay-Per-View
It inspired this poem to give UFC its due

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home