Monday, June 01, 2009

WHEELCHAIR HELPERS

WHEELCHAIR HELPERS

Roger A. Davis

Others in their chairs have helpers in tow
For me, it is usually solo
Unless it’s the valet or my son
For them, it’s not much fun

Loading my portable is a strain
It causes me a lot of back pain
At the Golden Eagle, Security does the deed
I’m so thankful for them meeting this need

Since I found to use my feet
It’s easier to go backwards in my seat
I must often turn my neck
To avoid people and not have a wreck

I’m teased of needing backup lights installed
Or an alarm, or whatever it’s called
Yet, most people give me the right-of-way
I say, ‘Thanks and have a good day’

Power scooters or wheelchairs you readily see
Mine for home-use cost an amazing fee
Thanks, all you taxpayers, for the customized chair
But, somehow, it doesn’t seem fair

Handicap accessible is really cool
So happy to have it at Eden Prairie School
Boys and girls bathroom doors are too small
I can still walk to the shower and stall

I was asked to write this poem by my friend Eiko
The suggestion was generated by what, I don’t know
I guess it was the grumbling of, for one, my brother
And of my son, the other

It’s my own fault to be this disabled
Taking in too much food at the dinner table
They have every right to vent their distaste
If our roles were reversed, would I helpingly hesitate?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home