Wednesday, November 01, 2006

BIG BROTHER, LIKE NO OTHER

BIG BROTHER, LIKE NO OTHER

Roger A. Davis

Who is it that you look up to?
For me, it is my brother
A family man like no other

He was three years ahead of me
And much more than that intellectually
Also had an outgoing personality

He got valedictorian high marks in school
I was way down on the gene pool
Yet, he was humble, that's cool

But pecking order had to be maintained of sorts
So when it came to neighborhood sports
Rick Davis ruled the courts

He was an all-around gifted athlete
And had a burning zeal to compete
Became state free throw champ, joining the elite

He was varsity center on the football team
Catcher for the American Legion baseball All Star team
Ran the Chicago Marathon later in life, fulfilling a dream

In the summer of my upcoming junior year
He helped me train to get ready to don the football gear
After working construction all day, he would forgo the beer

His greatest asset is Vicki, his beautiful bride
She is a lighthouse through life's ebb and tide
Three children and three grandkids give them much pride

Rick is not without fault, he can be nitpicky
Poor Vicki, living with a perfectionist can be tricky
But she defuses it by being snickeringly

On the rare occasion I gain one-upmanship
Rick banters back with sarcastical lip
This is one of my favorite aspects of our friendship

A few years ago, Rick was there in a special way
I had some medical problems and a hospital stay
He was there for us both night and day

We will always be grateful for his caring
Also to Vicki in opening her home and sharing
They are truly a heavenly host and hostess pairing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home