Wednesday, November 01, 2006

BIG ONE THAT GOT AWAY

BIG ONE THAT GOT AWAY

Roger A. Davis

Another family outing with a fishing theme
And this time, not a Colorado stream
Grand Lake O' The Cherokees, destination
For more of that fun and relaxation

This angler was going on nine
I could bait a hook just fine
Night crawlers were the temptation
Waiting for that jerking line sensation

Having no luck from the bank
I entered an enclosed dock by walking the plank
Four rails and a small concession stand
Hey, this was better than being on land

I had one rod and reel to try my luck
One guy was using twelve, that sucked
He occupied all of one side and a little more
Then I saw him leave for shore

Thinking they must be biting at that end
I got close and let my line descend
Leaning the pole against the wooden rail
I then set down my worm pail

Off to the concession counter I went
To get a Coke and candy bar, my intent
Never made it because I heard a commotion
The sound of fishing poles in locomotion

Six or seven rods in disarray
Here comes Roger running into the fray
Picking up mine, I started to reel
You can imagine how excited I did feel

As I'm cranking in my line, fighting the bass
Here comes the twelve pole jackass
He starts reeling in a line, too
But up comes six lines not two

He is ranting and raving to cut mine
I just keep on reeling my single line
We soon see an enormous sand bass rise
To my young angler eyes, it’s the grand prize

We get it on the deck and pole hog takes claim
So that's how the big one got away, what a shame
Went to find Dad for him to appeal
But couldn't locate him, what a bum deal

When I finally got back to the dock
That bully was gone lock and stock
So the biggest fish I ever caught in my youth
Was in cooperation with a jackass uncouth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home