Wednesday, November 01, 2006

MY COUNTRY, 'TIS OF THEE

MY COUNTRY, 'TIS OF THEE

Roger A. Davis

The DAR is about safeguarding our Liberty
That came about in the Paris Treaty of 1783
Finalized outcome of the American Revolution's discord
That had begun at Lexington and Concord

Their motto: “God, Home, and Country”
Examples: memorials and commissioned artworks in D.C.
Promoting flags and patriotism across our nation
Being there for immigrants during naturalization

Many have seen their preservation of U.S. History
Which includes a great database of genealogy
Twelve Madonna of the Trail sites and other routes
Marked for fame, is a monumental feat, without doubt

Yet, their greatest legacies are the Daughters
Descendants of Our Founding Fathers
And other patriots of the War
Opening each month their Chapter's door

I grew up in a Martha Vail Chapter abode
I, as a child, hit the Daughters mother lode
Great grandmother, grandmothers, mother and two sis
Were at one time on the membership list

That is why "My Country, 'Tis Of Thee"
Has much more meaning to me
It’s been properly handed down from each generation
By those who have cared about patriotic preservation

So now when I hear the Star Spangled Banner song
Each time I try to sing along
But I get choked up and cry
Thanking those who fought and died
For My Country
This Sweet Land of Liberty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home