Sunday, October 01, 2006

MEMORY TIDBITS

MEMORY TIDBITS

Roger A. Davis

Listening to my grandparents reminiscing
Was for me a very special treat
Especially around the table after Sunday's eat

A trip to California in a car with running boards
Where they packed the baggage overflow
And on the return trip, used as produce stow

One about Mama Grace and her scars
Couples loaded in Model T, lost control
Barbed wire fence, I'd moan "Oh No!"

Tales about hired hands on the farm
She said she should write a book
One jumped from a combine, a rabbit to look

There was Tex, our favorite one
Kindest alcoholic I've ever known
Taught me to cook on my own

He would work very diligently
Followed by a drinking spree
When trying to stop, he'd have DTs

Papa Grace would fetch Tex back
Never threatening to sack
See, we were his second family

On that final hospital stay
Mama Grace told us what the doc said
"One more binge, Tex will be dead"

Knowing this, he said his "Good-byes"
And gave me his 50 Chevy to my surprise
This was related to me as I cried

Most of my memory tidbits are sweet
Telling them to others, I have relished
And yes, once or twice, embellished

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home