Friday, September 01, 2006

MY LIFE HAS GONE TO THE DOGS

MY LIFE HAS GONE TO THE DOGS

Roger A. Davis

Let me start by saying I don't begrudge my vet
But I'm nearly broke and he has joined the jet set
Yet, when Jake got sprayed by a skunk
The veterinarian clinic got rid of what stunk

Let me clarify, we kept our black Pug, Jake
Those baths made him soft and smelling good
He was our baby and precious keepsake
And with our 9 cats, he ruled the neighborhood

Jake had this particular weird quirk
He would make a very fast circular run
Stop and give a foolish smirk
And do it again just for fun

Judo, the German Shepherd, my best boyhood friend
And you better believe it, a real Rin Tin Tin
He was a highly trained Air Force dog reject
But in my town, Judo was No.1 in respect

When we bought and brought him home
There was an incident involving torn upholstery and foam
A neighbor dog incited him at the corner of our street
Judo vs. Dad's new station wagon, it went down in defeat

He was taught to put out a newspaper on fire
Judo would roll over it until it would expire
I have so many fond memories of my best pal
Yet, as with all pets, in the end, I needed a crying towel

Chumley was our first pet after our marriage
An Old English Sheepdog with a stately carriage
And a beautiful bushy coat requiring much care
After a number years, we shaved his hair

You see, Chumley loved to swim and dive
He retrieved mostly rocks, nothing alive
I was his designated buoy between descents
Up from the deep he would bring his presents

Chumley would get all nervous and uptight
If we raised our voices and had a fight
He was a live-in marriage referee
If we had a disagreement, we talked normally

So how do I wrap this up?
A sad stanza about Judo II, the pup
No, I'll close on an upbeat thought
Always think as if you were the one that was bought

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home