Tuesday, July 25, 2006

TRAINING WHEELS

TRAINING WHEELS

Roger A. Davis

He started out with a small tricycle
Zooming up and down the hall
Progressed to a bigger version
Still no serious crash or fall

A homemade motorized three-wheeler, next in line
Turned it over on its side the first time
Cried a little, but he was fine
Then his driving skill produced nary a spill

His fifth birthday came and went
Gifts of money saved, a bicycle was his intent
Then spring came, we were off to the store
He found a BMX bike on the sales floor

All his rides before had wheels times three
Now it only had two, no training wheels, you see
To learn this new skill, only him and me
Yikes, overweight, bad back and bum knee

This teaching lesson should be at the top
First, how to brake and stop
But somehow I missed doing that
Look out! A driveway made of asphalt and chat

So we would start on the lawn
I, being the running kickstand pawn
My son made me promise I would not let go
This I was able to keep for three in a row

On the fourth attempt, his speed increased
And, totally exhausted, my help deceased
I fell down, breathing hard, his pedaling did not stop
But it was not long and Dad was not there to prop

He fell, too, in the freshly mown grass
I slowly got up and went to his aid
But he was up and ready for another pass
I apologized for the broken promise made

In one day he learned how to ride
His mom and I took that feat in pride
Yet, to this day, we laugh when we watch on film
Me, trying to run and stay by his side

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home