Thursday, July 13, 2006

A DAY AT THE COUNTY FAIR

A DAY AT THE COUNTY FAIR

Roger A. Davis

I went to the county fair
Exhibits, 4-H and FFA livestock were there
My pig won first blue, and angus steer, reserve champ
Hoping the judges like mom's jellies and preserves
All of us in the family think her baking deserves
A grand champ approval stamp

Tonight, the demolition derby under the lights
What a delight, car fights
Sitting in the grandstands eating hamburgers
Spilling mustard, while sipping cokes
Watching bumper and fender benders
Anticipating tomorrow's dance and rodeo with cowbelles and cowpokes

The evening almost done, back to fair barn stalls
To check animals, will change straw bedding at dawn
Watered my white ribbon lamb, oh my, what a yawn
I better get to bed before the rooster calls
Because the sun will birth a new day
When we town and country kids will feed many bales of hay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home