Sunday, May 13, 2007

SEQUEL: I'VE SEEN THE OCEAN

SEQUEL: I'VE SEEN THE OCEAN

Roger A. Davis

A 21 ½ hour push to Vegas, Sahara Resort
David and I made it, it seemed kind of short
At the end of this prose, there is a sad report
That had to do with a sudden trip abort

Yet, I got to see two of my goals
One, the Buddhist temple of my friends’ dad
The other, the Pacific Ocean, so I was very glad
My adopted California sisters thought, “Swimming? No way!”
But this Kansas beached whale did in the surf play

Used my push wheelchair for a dune buggy
Powered by Marge and Raddad, the large
Turned the big wheels toward the beach
And, through the sand and rest, did reach

Onward into the ocean in sweat bottoms I stumbled
But there was only joy, no grumble
It was only Roger and wetsuit surfers in the breakers
Seemed the Santa Monica Muscle Beach folks were sun bakers

When it was time to head back to shore
I reached the wave and sand line boundary
But, because of my walking disability
Raddad, as a human wave, rolled up to my chair
With little sis’ support, once more this strange pair
Headed back up the sandy slope
Did anyone offer to help? The answer, “Nope”

I mentioned at first there was a sad note to this feat
I heard that morning, my best friend David was in heaven
So this broken-hearted Roger had an early wake
A taste of salt and sea and a dinner with Marge’s family

My little sis got me packed and loaded while I napped
Then it was all the way back to Kansas for David’s R.I.P
And I was honored by Connie to take part in his eulogy

I’ll end on a happy thought
If there was a video of Marge’s and my ocean quest
Its title would be “East Meets West for a Riot of Jest”
Or “Green Peace, here I come, ready or not”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home